How do I continue my test execution even If I minimize Microsoft remote desktop session window?
Description: When I minimize the remote Virtual machine or remote desktop session the application running on the VM also stops running. Due to this issue we are unable to execute scheduled tasks.
What steps will reproduce the problem?
- Connect to remote desktop machine
- Run any of the script on this remote desktop
- Minimize remote desktop session window or exit from RDP
- Your script stops running on VM.
After minimizing Microsoft remote desktop session window, automation scripts should run fine.
It is possible to run the automation scripts in VM even in minimized
mode and these are the steps you need to follow before executing the scripts.
You need to change Registry keys on your computer (i.e. the computer from which you connect to a remote automation workstation and this is one-time activity.
- Close Remote Desktop sessions opened on your computer.
- Click Start and select Run. In the Run dialog box, type regedit and press Enter.
Registry Editor starts
- Locate any of the following Registry keys:
a. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client\
(if you want to change the RDC settings for your user account)
b. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client\
(if you want to change the RDC settings for all accounts)
4. Context click on Terminal Server Client and GoTo new > DWORD (32-bit) value
5. Rename it as “RemoteDesktop_SuppressWhenMinimized”
6. Context click on the name to modify the data value
7. Edit data value as 2(how many VMs you wanted to open at a time) as the value data
8. Open VM in your system and start execute the scripts and minimize the window if you want to continue with other work.